Monday, October 30, 2017

Quilt Bloggers International Retreat (QBIR) 2nd Annual - Minus the International

Thursday, October 26, 2017 through Saturday October 28, 2016

These were the days of the 2nd Annual QBIR.  This year it was minus the "I" as Sandra of  mmmquilts was missing this year. However that did not hamper the fun.

Tish and I stopped along the way and I picked up a new pattern that I was going to use on my Tula Pink Chipper stash fabric. I ended up later deciding to save it for a different project.




The fun began with Tish and Beth setting up to to quilt, Tish was working with a machine and Beth with some hand stitching. I myself got caught up with Julie and did some fabric dyeing. I did my first Tie Dye process as well as one section of green, blue, yellow and red.  It was a morning filled with donuts and discussion about various quilt related ins and outs.  Julie surprised us with a piece of Tula Pink.








I got started on a new small wall hanging project made up of fabrics that are fun in yellows, pinks, and maroons as well as a white background. I decided to just make it impromptu with some half square triangles as well as some simple solid blocks. During the time up there, I decided to frame a small HST and the smaller solid blocks and went through a bit of trial and error. Needless to say today (Sunday) I finished the top as well as a pieced back. I have them sandwiched and have started straight line quilting. I have about 2 full length rows finished out of four or five wide (I can't remember).





Friday we met up with a new member of the QBIR, Karen. Karen's husband "Tuna-Helper" also came along. This day was a shopping day in which I picked up a few pieces of fabric a couple gray and one blue for a special project I am going to start designing very soon. It will likely be a paper-piece project consisting a "stitch and flip" processes.  I am not giving anything away about it.  It will be very "manly" in design and I look forward to doing it



One of the first stops we made was at a lumber and supply store that, in size and layout, rivaled Cabelas.  It truly was the Cabela's of woodworking and house construction. I also found a nice piece of Moda fabric at an outlet store up in Amish country of Ohio. It will go nicely with the first iteration of Moda's "Bee Creative" line (check out that price per yard). I was wore out that evening and most of the party recognized it.  We stayed at a Red Roof Inn and that first night (Thurs-Fri) I got very little sleep. We had Mexican for dinner and it was wonderful conversation. The night ended fairly early as everyone was tired from shopping.





Saturday started between 0800 and 0900. We met at Julie's studio and did some sewing as well as talking.  I washed out my fabric from the dyeing process we wrapped things up with some hugs and a short goodbye, at around 1230, and a brief discussion about the possible timeline for the next years QBIR. As always, Julie was a very gracious and wonderful host. I am hoping that someday Tish and I will be able to repay the kindness that she and her husband have shown us.  I also hope that we can evolve the QBIR into something that will put less work on Julie and allow her to enjoy it to the degree and depth (relaxation) that we feel when we attend.

Tish and I, followed by Beth, shot over to Zannesville, OH to a wonderful little shop for a first time stop to see if we would like the shop as well as a short impromptu shopping process.  Tish picked up some thread and we both picked up independent thread stands (a great investment) as well as two rolls of wool batting to give a try. 



We parted ways with Beth at that time and started home. Tish and I did stop at a Dairy Queen as we had been hoping to do the entire time we were there. All in all, I believe Tish and I had a wonderful short vacation and enjoyed the retreat.

I apologize for the poor pictures.  I had taken pictures and it did them as video and I could not edit it. Until the next time, Keep on Stitching...Keep on Stitching....when you want to Stiiiiitch!

6 comments:

  1. 4 yards at $5.99 a yard!!! I would be dreaming if I found anything near that down here. Your choices for the new projects look great. The thread stand, Hugh made me one, with 3 dowels in a piece of wood, nicely routed at the edge, and a steel rod that slots into its own place, with a loop at the top. works really well with monofilament, giving that extra loop for tension before it is on the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I like the new fabrics you picked up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like another great retreat this year! I’m glad you all have so much fun together and are making a habit of meeting in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great weekend , and the photos look just fine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy you had a good time this year, David. I only wish you had pictures of the 6 foot pipe we the fabric on. It was gold, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun and productive retreat.

    ReplyDelete