Sunday, August 7, 2016

Sunday Stash and then SOME

Yes...I have been away for a while. However, that does not mean I have not been following along with everyone's posts.  I have not had much time to comment either. I was in the second week of training with a new Basic class and we were in Communication Skills class which is not only labor intensive, but also mentally taxing.  To a degree, I am a recluse and my co-worker also talked me into getting out of our area for the evening to get a break. It was needed, but put me behind a bit on other things. If I have not said it, I am also a runner and have been getting back to business to on that. Gotta control that weight and stress and I have found it to be a great outlet. Sad to say, what has been catching my eye lately is posts about new fabric lines. I also have been lurking heavily on Instagram follow new fabric posts.

Tish has been working diligently on a pattern I designed a short while back, and we have settle on two fabric sets (I think). We were suppose to discuss a few different variations of the color pallets but have not done so.  We did make it out to see the movie "Nine Lives" which was a cute little movie.

So our two color sets are Desert Bloom by Riley Blake and Dixie by Windham Fabrics.  We have not yet made the purchase because we are still finagling with the color set up.

Anyways on too Sunday Stash.


The above is my stash for Cheryl's quilt along from Meadow Mystery Designs. We have received the instructions on cutting but wifey requested that I hold off on cutting till she could take my samples to the Quilt Guild meeting on Monday.  I think she was a little disappointed that I could not go with her this week. I went to the last one and it was an adventure.


These two are samples of stash we picked up from a Craftsy sale.
Wifey, or Tish, gets a portion of proceeds from some sales on Craftsy so hop over and check out her blog where you can find more about that.

Here is my selection and cuts for Yvonne's quilt along at Quilting JetGirl! I ended up not having the exact amount of fabric I wanted, but after a short discussion with Tish, we came up with what would be a good compromise to the color concern and I feel happy with it. Plus, it saves me from having to get out amongst the crazies on the roadways of WV. As you can see, the white is not cut. I ran out of time last weekend, but I took care of it first thing this Friday.  I will take care of the cuts on the aforementioned Meadow Mist quilt this coming weekend. I do have to say about this Snowflake Shimmer of Yvonne's, it was tough ironing and lining up the fabric to cut those large pieces. Tish thought she was going to have to step in, but I summoned my inner Snickers Bar and got the job done. I wasn't completely sold on the pattern but once I wrapped my head around a color pallet I am excited to get along and see how mine turns out.....All that white...gonna be tough to keep clean. However, I am betting once it is done I am going to have several people wanting to get their hands on it or a duplicate copy of it.

Again, I have been relishing over new fabric lines coming out, but alas it is not time for a purchase.  I have talked my sister into doing some picking out, of a pattern and colors, to make her a quilt.  She really likes what I call "wonky" plus designs in which none are the same, and all if not most appear out of shape.  I recommended she keep looking, as I think if she is using it for decoration (and I determined she would be) that she might feel it look dated over a few years.  Her color pallet though is either Navy and other darker blues or NC State colors. I am excited to work on that.

I really have figured out that I do love quilting and that relates to a meme I found indicating quilting to be a series of small goals.

 This is a sample of what lies in our future. Tish will talk about it. We went to pick up my mom's quilt and we also met up with Beth Sellers at cookingupquilts and she is a sweetheart, a wealth of information and insight, and an excellent designer. Her pattern in the red and blue. Yes, I am in the picture....kinda as I took the picture. They offered to let me in, but it was their day.


Ouch!!!!!

 This is what happens when you work on a quilt a little too late into the night, and you fail to notice the large square ruler is just a little to close to the edge. Who would have thought that I would be in perfect balance with the Space/Time continuum to be in the right place for the ruler to fall corner down.  The good news...I learned especially this time, that taking Flaxseed Oil works as a natural blood thinner. Getting this baby to stop bleeding was a real chore.

This is the WIP that is Cheryl's design from Meadow Mist Designs. This was her first ever published design and I found it in a Quilting Magazine of my wife's. I will do another post on it later. I am going to put a brown border (like the brown plus) around the outside...probably a 1-1.5 inch and find a dark yellow/orange to bind it.  I also want to include a couple photos of the Quilt "Looking Glass" that I did for my mother. It is still a WIP also, as I need to bind it once my labels come in. Tish ordered them and they should be here this week. I will also do a post on this one once I get it bound. This will be my first try at binding with a little guidance from Tish. I LOVE how this one turned out.  I wasn't sold on my color choices (except the yellow), but it turned out awesome.




 I am very very pleased with both designs. I highly highly recommend Meadow Mist Design patterns. Again, I will do a separate post when this one is complete.

Today I am linking up with Molli Sparkles Sunday Stash #188- Hodge Podge

See you soon when I get a few of these knocked out.  Now, I have to figure out which ones that I have completed.....that I will put in competition at the local festival next year LOL.






9 comments:

  1. You have been really busy all around! I look forward to seeing how your fabric choices read in the Snowflake Shimmer QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out awesome indeed Dave, the other colours with the yellow look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with your fabrics for Cheryl's mystery quilt. Those fabrics were a great find online and totally not what I would have expected you to pick. And I'm glad the ruler incident was not an open rotary cutter incident. You might be missing a toe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good god man you are on FIRE and I'm not talking just your foot! Publishing a pattern, buying a quilting machine and uh now gearing up to enter a competition?! Amazing you and your quilts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have taken to quilting like no other! Tish has got to be in heaven...you feed her fabric addiction! You are doing fantastic! Yeah, watch out for those rulers...rotary cutters are pretty bad too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the classes. I hope you and Tish have fun collaborating together. I love the plus quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making great progress Dave. I love that looking glass quilt. Just letting you know that I nominated you for a lovely blog award (just posted it) . You can ask Tish all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw you through Lisa's post and noticed you're from WV! I'm from KY so we're practically neighbors. Lol. Looks like you've been busy and getting to play with a lot of fun fabric. Looking forward to seeing what else you have in store! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see your quilting coming on leaps and bounds, and who would have thought quilting could be such a dangerous sport!

    ReplyDelete